Travellanda’s Top 10 American Travel Destination Roundup

Each of the ten cities mentioned in this roundup boast flourishing economies, in particular, tourism industries. With elevated visitor numbers and visitor spending values increasing this is the perfect list to keep in mind when pushing the American market and when attending trade shows such as IPW.

Las Vegas, Nevada

In 2016 the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority reported a total of over 42 million visitors in their Year End Summary report. The hotel occupancy percentage was at 90.8% only 3.2% lower than in 2007 according to the Historical Visitation Statistics report. The same report states that 21,864 conventions were held with an overwhelming 6,310,616 delegates having attended.

Orlando, Florida

Credit: Mark Goebel

In May of this year Visit Orlando unveiled a new milestone visitation number announcing that a whopping 68 million people had visited in 2016. To celebrate Visit Orlando held an event where they gathered thousands of hand written thank-you cards from local businesses earning them a new Guinness World Record™. Visit Orlando achieved this great feat within 24 hours with the help of 900 members of the tourism community.

New York, New York

NYC & Company forecast that the City of New York will welcome 61.8 million visitors with 48.7 million being domestic travellers and 13.1 million international visitors this year. Hotel demand in the cities five boroughs has also grown by 1.2 million which is why it is expected to gain 24,000 new hotel rooms by the end of 2019. This boost to the economy, hotel and sales taxes are estimated to make revenue reach over $1 billion this year.

Miami, Florida

The Greater Miami Convention & Visitors Bureau report details that over 22 million passengers flew into Miami International Airport, in 2016, 51% of which were domestic passengers and the remainder 49% made up of international passengers. Numbers which have steadily grown since 2007 except between 2008 and 2009 when the recorded number of domestic flights fell from 9 million in 2007 to 8,961,413.

Chicago, Illinois

Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s goal for Chicago is to bring in 55 million visitors by 2020. Speaking of destination David Whitaker, President and CEO of Choose Chicago, said, “Chicago continues to excel as a major meetings destination and the growth in leisure demand signals our continued success and reputation.” Five hotels are set to open this year with a further eight planned for 2018.

San Francisco, California

The San Francisco Travel Association reports that 25.1 million visitors brought $9.69 billion in spending to San Francisco. Of this number 10.4 million were overnight visitors 14.7 million visited for the day. International visitors volume grew by 1.7 percent with the largest overseas markets being China, Germany and the UK.

Los Angeles, California

Last year it is reported by Discover Los Angeles a 47.3 million overnight and day visitors. Marking a 3.7% increase over the previous year. The primary purpose of visitation being ‘Domestic Leisure’. This accompanies statistics that over 29 million rooms were sold per night in 2016.

New Orleans, Louisiana

New Orleans best known for Mardi Gras and its various festivals and parades is a true survivor. After Hurricane Katrina in 2006 visitation dropped to 3.7 million however after joint efforts made by the New Orleans Convention and Visitors Bureau (NOCVB) as well as the New Orleans Tourism Marketing Corporation (NOTMC) visitor numbers and spending have steadily increased. Visitor spending totalled 7.41 billion USD. A 51% increase from 2004.

Washington, DC

Credit: John Haslam

DC’s hotel occupancy is said to reach its highest between March and July as well as in October according to the Washington DC Press. 20 million domestic visitors arrived in DC with $7.3 billion in visitor spending. The Lincoln Memorial site alone attracts 7.9 million visitors with the National Air & Space Museum garnering 7.5 million visitors. Of all the conventions it holds the IPW will be held at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center.

Atlanta, Georgia

Credit: tableatny

The U.S Travel Association and Tourism Economics has reported that the state’s tourism industry had generated $61.1 billion in business sales last year. This has led to tourism being one of the state’s leading industries. It is the 5th largest employer in the state of Georgia supporting more than 439,000 jobs and a total economic impact of 59 billion USD.

Travellanda will be exhibiting at the IPW trade show held in Washington, DC this year. Visitors attending the show can find Travellanda at stand 1937. If you would like to find out how Travellanda can help your travel business grow, get in touch via our website www.travellanda.com or send an email to arrange a meeting at IPW to marketing@travellanda.com.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *